Around this time, I get excited for a new school year, a season when we’ll learn lessons we never imagined. By “we,” I mean children, moms, teachers, and communities. We’re all impacted by this thing called “school,” whether we get up early to make lunches, open classroom doors, avoid school zones, or get kids doing lessons. This is the first time I won’t make lunches or check homework. Both our students will be in college. It will be a first in the Sanders’ household! Back to School touches us all.
Supply lists, permission forms, textbooks and schedules are almost enough to distract from one thing no one likes to mention at parent night or teacher training: We can’t control everything.
I’ve experienced this as a student, teacher, parent, professor, and friend. Despite our efforts to prepare (isn’t that enough?), we can’t anticipate what each school day will hold. This creates a lot of opportunity for learning, which can be hard. It will be like no other year, so we approach this year of potential a little like I used to approach the enormous lunches my mom sent on field trips: with excitement, caution, uncertainty, and hope. This school year will teach us lessons we never imagined.
With all that blessed uncertainty awaiting us, I’m sharing a list full of helps and resources for “us” all for a year of growth and learning.
My Back to School Supply List of 21 Resources on The MOM Initiative last weekend included practical helps for starting school, encouragement for grown ups, a section about prayer, and unique posts for parenting students with special needs. I have favorite printables and posts I’ve shared that might be helpful as a new academic season starts.
15 School Year Resources
- ABCs of Praying for Students printable bookmark on my resources page; just look under “Prayer Resources” (This is one of my most requested and no, there’s no charge 🙂
- Real Parents Praying for Real Teachers (How to pray for your new teacher in 10 ways)
- How to be a Parent Teachers Love (10 simple rules. You’ll thank me.)
- My personal Breakfast Cheat Sheet (When Pop-tarts don’t cut it. Your kids will thank me.)
- A favorite school breakfast recipe of mine: Ritz Cracker Breakfast Cups (Good for you too!)
- Praying for the Teacher Printable Bookmark 2015-2016 (Also on the Resources page)
- What Kids Need from You this School Year(No, you don’t have to charge it.)
- How to Find Your Peace this School Year(Wouldn’t that be nice?)
- How to Keep Your Identity this School Year(Something we all need to know.)
- School Stress on Your Marriage(Your husband will thank me.)
- 10 Bible Verses to Pray About my Schedule (Also on the Resources Page)
- How to Get Your Kids to Share About School(Or do you love the blank stare?)
- I really love this website for parents: I Can Teach My Child (Creative ideas from a teacher!)
- My revised Alphabet Priorities Printable Bookmark
- My favorite verse-promise for going back to school.
Do you have a favorite resource to share? I’d love for you to share in the comments. All this week on the Come Have a Peace Facebook page, I’ll share good ideas, scripture, resources, and quotes to help launch a great school year. I’d love to share yours! Go here to follow that page.
And finally, as we kick off this school year, let’s make this our prayer:
Make Your face shine upon Your servant, and teach me Your statutes. Psalm 119:135