Today I’m sharing one of our new favorite family recipes. I first made this for a group of JoHanna’s college friends. Jeff loved it and begged for more. When I served it to our college girls for spring break last week, it was hit all over again. I think of it as my “Dress and Pray” baked crockpot oatmeal, because I can mix it up, plug it in, get dressed, have my prayer time, and it’s ready to eat!
This is inexpensive, healthy (HOW healthy is up to YOU), yummy, and EASY!
Great Dressed and Pray Baked Crockpot Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup of oil (I use a mix of Canola & Olive oil, about 1/2 of each)
- 1/2 cup of sugar (I use white sugar, but you can blend brown or raw)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup of old fashioned oatmeal (not steel cut)
- 1 cup of dry quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup + 3 Tablespoons of milk
- 3 T. butter
- 2 t. cinnamon
Pour the combination of oils all over the bottom of the crock. Add the sugar and the egg and mix well. Pour in the oatmeal, then sprinkle the baking powder, salt, and cinnamon over the top. Next, add the milk and gently combine all ingredients.
Turn the crockpot on high for one hour. Serve oatmeal with your choice of:
- chopped strawberries, apples, or peaches
- toasted sweetened coconut (Toast in a thin layer on a cookie sheet for 15 min at 350)
- chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans
We really love this. It’s great for a Sunday morning, for a school morning, or to make on a Monday and heat up leftovers the rest of the week. We like to drizzle a little half and half over the top. I think this serves about 4 people for breakfast … unless you’re a college student or a husband named Jeff who just ran 5 miles …. then it serves 2 🙂 It easily doubles and takes the same amount of time to cook.
YUM! By the time your crockpot of oatmeal is ready to eat, you can be dressed and have some quiet time alone with the Lord. Enjoy!